Current:Home > FinanceChainkeen|Italy bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue -Wealth Momentum Network
Chainkeen|Italy bans loans of works to Minneapolis museum in a dispute over ancient marble statue
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:41:04
Italy's Culture Ministry has banned loans of works to the Minneapolis Institute of Art, following a dispute with the U.S. museum over an ancient marble statue believed to have been looted from Italy almost a half-century ago.
The dispute began in March 2022 when an Italian court ruled that the Minneapolis museum was irregularly in possession of the Stabiae Doriforo, a Roman-era copy of The Doryphoros of Polykleitos, an ancient Greek sculpture.
Rome claims that the sculpture was looted in the 1970s from an archaeological site at Stabiae, an ancient city close to Pompeii that was also covered by lava and ashes when Mount Vesuvius erupted in A.D. 79.
Massimo Osanna, director general of national museums for Italy's Ministry of Culture, confirmed the ban in a statement given to WCCO on Thursday.
"The situation for us is very clear: the statue was excavated illegally in Italy and illegally left our territory," Osanna said. "Until the Doryphoros will be returned, there will be no further cooperation from our entire national museum system with the museum in Minneapolis."
In February 2022, Italian prosecutors issued an international warrant for the artwork to be impounded and returned. At a news conference earlier this year, Nunzio Fragliasso, chief prosecutor at the Torre Annunziata court, said they were "still awaiting a response."
In 1984, while the work was on display in a German museum, Italy initiated a legal proceeding to claim it. The claim was denied in 1986. The U.S. museum, which bought the statue in 1986 for $2.5 million, said it was purchased from art dealer Elie Borowski and imported into the United States.
"Since that time, the work has been publicly displayed and extensively published," the Minneapolis museum said in a statement. "While it takes issue with recent press reports regarding the Doryphoros, Mia (the museum) believes that the media is not an appropriate forum to address unproven allegations."
The museum asserted that it has always acted "responsibly and proactively" with respect to claims related to its collection. However, it added, "where proof has not been provided, as well as where Mia has evidence reasonably demonstrating that a claim is not supported, Mia has declined to transfer the work."
The museum called Italy's new ban on loans "contrary to decades of exchanges between museums."
The Minnesota Institute of Art originally opened its doors in 1915. The museum expanded in 1974 and 2006.
There are more than 89,000 objects held in the museum.
- In:
- Rome
- Italy
- Politics
- Entertainment
- Minneapolis
veryGood! (93)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- RTX, the world's largest aerospace and defense company, accused of age discrimination
- Bull that jumped the fence at Oregon rodeo to retire from competition, owner says
- MacOS Sequoia: Key features and what to know about Apple’s newest MacBook operating system
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Lionel Richie on the continuing power of We Are the World
- Diana Taurasi headlines veteran US women's basketball team for Paris Olympics
- MLB's most affordable ballparks: Which stadiums offer the most bang for your buck?
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Fire kills hundreds of caged animals, including puppies and birds, at famous market in Thailand
Ranking
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- Mentally ill man charged in Colorado Planned Parenthood shooting can be forcibly medicated
- Linguist and activist Noam Chomsky hospitalized in his wife’s native country of Brazil after stroke
- What is paralytic shellfish poisoning? What to know about FDA warning, how many are sick.
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Jay-Z’s Roc Nation to drum up support for private school vouchers in Philadelphia
- Supreme Court has a lot of work to do and little time to do it with a sizeable case backlog
- Chace Crawford Confirms He’s Hooked Up With One of His Gossip Girl Co-Stars
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
Gov. Jay Inslee says Washington will make clear that hospitals must provide emergency abortions
Julia Louis-Dreyfus on Tuesday and podcast Wiser Than Me
Glen Powell learns viral 'date with a cannibal' story was fake: 'False alarm'
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Montana man gets 2 months in a federal prison for evidence tampering after killing grizzly bear
Judges hear Elizabeth Holmes’ appeal of fraud conviction while she remains in Texas prison
Keeping Stormwater at Bay: a Brooklyn Green Roof Offers a Look at a Climate Resilient Future