Current:Home > NewsTrump campaign was warned not to take photos at Arlington before altercation, defense official says -Wealth Momentum Network
Trump campaign was warned not to take photos at Arlington before altercation, defense official says
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:32:11
WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump’s campaign was warned about not taking photographs before an altercation at Arlington National Cemetery during a wreath-laying ceremony earlier this week to honor service members killed in the Afghanistan War withdrawal, a defense official told The Associated Press on Wednesday.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter concerning Monday’s events. It came a day after NPR reported, citing a source with knowledge of the incident, that two Trump campaign staff members “verbally abused and pushed” aside a cemetery official who tried to stop them from filming and photographing in Section 60, the burial site for military personnel killed while fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq.
The defense official told the AP that the Trump campaign was warned about not taking photographs in Section 60 before their arrival and the altercation. Trump was at Arlington on Monday at the invitation of some of the families of the 13 service members who were killed in the Kabul airport bombing exactly three years prior.
Arlington National Cemetery said in a statement that “an incident” had occurred and a report had been filed, but it did not address details of what had happened. Cemetery officials also declined to share the report.
“Federal law prohibits political campaign or election-related activities within Army National Military Cemeteries, to include photographers, content creators or any other persons attending for purposes, or in direct support of a partisan political candidate’s campaign,” the cemetery officials’ statement said. “Arlington National Cemetery reinforced and widely shared this law and its prohibitions with all participants. We can confirm there was an incident, and a report was filed.”
Trump’s spokesperson Steven Cheung said the Republican presidential candidate’s team was granted access to have a photographer. He contested the allegation that a campaign staffer pushed a cemetery official.
“The fact is that a private photographer was permitted on the premises and for whatever reason, an unnamed individual, clearly suffering from a mental health episode, decided to physically block members of President Trump’s team during a very solemn ceremony,” he said.
Chris LaCivita, a top Trump campaign adviser, noted that Trump was there at the invitation of the families of the service members who were killed in the airport bombing.
“For a despicable individual to physically prevent President Trump’s team from accompanying him to this solemn event is a disgrace and does not deserve to represent the hollowed grounds of Arlington National Cemetery,” he said in a written statement, misspelling the word hallowed. “Whoever this individual is, spreading these lies are dishonoring the men and women of our armed forces.”
The Trump campaign posted a message signed by the relatives of two of the service members killed in the bombing. “The president and his team conducted themselves with nothing but the utmost respect and dignity for all of our service members, especially our beloved children,” the message said.
Michael Tyler, a spokesperson for Trump’s Democratic opponent, Vice President Kamala Harris, called the reports “pretty sad when it’s all said and done.”
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Today’s news: Follow live updates from the campaign trail from the AP.
- Ground Game: Sign up for AP’s weekly politics newsletter to get it in your inbox every Monday.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
“This is what we’ve come to expect from Donald Trump and his team,” Tyler said on CNN. “Donald Trump is a person who wants to make everything all about Donald Trump. He’s also somebody who has a history of demeaning and degrading military service members, those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.”
Democratic U.S. Rep. Gerry Connolly of Virginia has called on cemetery officials to come forward publicly and release more information about what happened Monday.
“It’s sad but all too expected that Donald Trump would desecrate this hallowed ground and put campaign politics ahead of honoring our heroes,” he said. “His behavior and that of his campaign is abhorrent and shameful.”
Trump’s running mate JD Vance, speaking at a campaign event in Erie, Pennsylvania, on Wednesday, was asked about the incident and said that “apparently somebody at Arlington Cemetery, some staff member, had a little disagreement with somebody” and “the media has turned this into a national news story.”
He instead tried to focus on the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan, calling Harris “disgraceful” for not firing anyone for the deaths of service members in the terror attack. The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack.
A Pentagon investigation into the deadly attack concluded that the suicide bomber acted alone and that the deaths of more than 170 Afghans and 13 U.S. service members were not preventable. But critics have slammed the Biden administration for the catastrophic evacuation, saying it should have started earlier than it did.
“Kamala Harris is so asleep at the wheel that she won’t even do an investigation into what happened, and she wants to yell at Donald Trump because he showed up,” Vance said.
The Arlington National Cemetery is the resting place for more than 400,000 service members, veterans and their families.
___
Gomez Licon reported from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Associated Press writers Michelle L. Price in New York and Farnoush Amiri in Washington contributed to this report.
veryGood! (6372)
Related
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- Man accused of charging police with machete fatally shot by Pennsylvania officer
- Louisville interim police chief will lead department in permanent role
- Don't listen to Trump's lies. Haitian chef explains country's rich culinary tradition.
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- You need to start paying your student debt. No, really.
- A New York woman is challenging Miss America, Miss World rules banning mothers from beauty pageants
- An appeals court won’t revive Brett Favre’s defamation lawsuit against Shannon Sharpe
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Man accused of charging police with machete fatally shot by Pennsylvania officer
Ranking
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- A'ja Wilson makes more WNBA history as first player to score 1,000 points in a season
- Judge rules Robert F. Kennedy Jr.'s name will stay on Wisconsin ballot
- Anna Kendrick Says A Simple Favor Director Paul Feig Made Sequel “Even Crazier”
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Meryl Streep Had the Best Reaction to Being Compared to a Jockstrap at 2024 Emmys
- TikTokers Matt Howard and Abby Howard Break Silence on Backlash Over Leaving Kids in Cruise Room
- Why West Wing's Bradley Whitford Missed Reunion at 2024 Emmys
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
An 8-year-old Ohio girl drove an SUV on a solo Target run
A rough Sunday for some of the NFL’s best teams in 2023 led to the three biggest upsets: Analysis
Florida sheriff fed up with school shooting hoaxes posts boy’s mugshot to social media
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Cardi B Reunites With Offset in Behind-the-Scenes Look at Birth of Baby No. 3
NFL Week 2 winners, losers: Bears have a protection problem with Caleb Williams
Oregon tribe sues over federal agency plans to hold an offshore wind energy auction