Current:Home > StocksNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Wealth Momentum Network
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 01:18:40
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (3419)
Related
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Travis Hunter strikes Heisman pose after interception for Colorado vs UCF
- MLB playoff scenarios: NL wild card race coming down to the wire
- California governor signs bills to protect children from AI deepfake nudes
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Ariana Grande Slams Rumors About Ethan Slater Relationship
- How often should you wash your dog? Bathe that smelly pup with these tips.
- Kentucky pulls off upset at No. 5 Mississippi with help from gambles by Mark Stoops
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Opinion: Atlanta Falcons have found their identity in nerve-wracking finishes
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Why Lionel Messi did Iron Man celebration after scoring in Inter Miami-Charlotte FC game
- Liver cleanses claim they have detoxifying benefits. Are they safe?
- Week 4 fantasy football rankings: PPR, half-PPR and standard leagues
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- 'Shazam!' star Zachary Levi endorses Donald Trump while moderating event with RFK Jr.
- New rules regarding election certification in Georgia to get test in court
- Opinion: Florida celebrating Ole Miss loss to Kentucky? It brings Lane Kiffin closer to replacing Billy Napier
Recommendation
Could your smelly farts help science?
Kristin Cavallari splits with 24-year-old boyfriend Mark Estes after 7 months
Kailyn Lowry Shares Why She Just Developed a Strategy for Dealing With Internet Trolls
Supplies are rushed to North Carolina communities left isolated after Helene
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Residents told to evacuate or take shelter after Georgia chemical fire
A dockworkers strike could shut down East and Gulf ports. Will it affect holiday shopping?
Opinion: Treating athletes' mental health just like physical health can save lives