Current:Home > reviewsNews outlets were leaked insider material from the Trump campaign. They chose not to print it -Wealth Momentum Network
News outlets were leaked insider material from the Trump campaign. They chose not to print it
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 02:17:19
At least three news outlets were leaked confidential material from inside the Donald Trump campaign, including its report vetting JD Vance as a vice presidential candidate. So far, each has refused to reveal any details about what they received.
Instead, Politico, The New York Times and The Washington Post have written about a potential hack of the campaign and described what they had in broad terms.
Their decisions stand in marked contrast to the 2016 presidential campaign, when a Russian hack exposed emails to and from Hillary Clinton’s campaign manager, John Podesta. The website Wikileaks published a trove of these embarrassing missives, and mainstream news organizations covered them avidly.
Politico wrote over the weekend about receiving emails starting July 22 from a person identified as “Robert” that included a 271-page campaign document about Vance and a partial vetting report on Sen. Marco Rubio, who was also considered as a potential vice president. Both Politico and the Post said that two people had independently confirmed that the documents were authentic.
“Like many such vetting documents,” The Times wrote of the Vance report, “they contained past statements with the potential to be embarrassing or damaging, such as Mr. Vance’s remarks casting aspersions on Mr. Trump.”
Whodunit?
What’s unclear is who provided the material. Politico said it did not know who “Robert” was and that when it spoke to the supposed leaker, he said, “I suggest you don’t be curious about where I got them from.”
The Trump campaign said it had been hacked and that Iranians were behind it. While the campaign provided no evidence for the claim, it came a day after a Microsoft report detailed an effort by an Iranian military intelligence unit to compromise the email account of a former senior advisor to a presidential campaign. The report did not specify which campaign.
Steven Cheung, a spokesperson for Trump’s campaign, said over the weekend that “any media or news outlet reprinting documents or internal communications are doing the bidding of America’s enemies.”
The Times said it would not discuss why it had decided not to print details of the internal communications. A spokesperson for the Post said: “As with any information we receive, we take into account the authenticity of the materials, any motives of the source and assess the public interest in making decisions about what, if anything, to publish.”
Brad Dayspring, a spokesperson for Politico, said editors there judged that “the questions surrounding the origins of the documents and how they came to our attention were more newsworthy than the material that was in those documents.”
Indeed, it didn’t take long after Vance was announced as Trump’s running mate for various news organizations to dig up unflattering statements that the Ohio senator had made about him.
A lesson from 2016?
It’s also easy to recall how, in 2016, candidate Trump and his team encouraged coverage of documents on the Clinton campaign that Wikileaks had acquired from hackers. It was widespread: A BBC story promised “18 revelations from Wikileaks’ hacked Clinton emails” and Vox even wrote about Podesta’s advice for making superb risotto.
Brian Fallon, then a Clinton campaign spokesperson, noted at the time how striking it was that concern about Russian hacking quickly gave way to fascination over what was revealed. “Just like Russia wanted,” he said.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Today’s news: Follow live updates from the campaign trail from the AP.
- Ground Game: Sign up for AP’s weekly politics newsletter to get it in your inbox every Monday.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
Unlike this year, the Wikileaks material was dumped into the public domain, increasing the pressure on news organizations to publish. That led to some bad decisions: In some cases, outlets misrepresented some of the material to be more damaging to Clinton than it actually was, said Kathleen Hall Jamieson, a University of Pennsylvania communications professor at the University of Pennsylvania who wrote “Cyberwar,” a book about the 2016 hacking.
This year, Jamieson said she believed news organizations made the right decision not to publish details of the Trump campaign material because they can’t be sure of the source.
“How do you know that you’re not being manipulated by the Trump campaign?” Jamieson said. She’s conservative about publishing decisions “because we’re in the misinformation age,” she said.
Thomas Rid, director of the Alperovitch Institute for Cybersecurity Studies at Johns Hopkins, also believes that the news organizations have made the right decision, but for different reasons. He said it appeared that an effort by a foreign agent to influence the 2024 presidential campaign was more newsworthy than the leaked material itself.
But one prominent journalist, Jesse Eisinger, senior reporter and editor at ProPublica, suggested the outlets could have told more than they did. While it’s true that past Vance statements about Trump are easily found publicly, the vetting document could have indicated which statements most concerned the campaign, or revealed things the journalists didn’t know.
Once it is established that the material is accurate, newsworthiness is a more important consideration than the source, he said.
“I don’t think they handled it properly,” Eisinger said. “I think they overlearned the lesson of 2016.”
___
David Bauder writes about media for the AP. Follow him at http://twitter.com/dbauder.
veryGood! (3568)
Related
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Verdict expected for Iranian-born Norwegian man charged in deadly 2022 Oslo LGBT+ festival attack
- Man tells jury he found body but had no role in fatal attack on Detroit synagogue leader
- Cleveland officer fatally shot while trying to serve a warrant
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Federal judge sentences 4 anti-abortion activists for a 2021 Tennessee clinic blockade
- TikTok Executive Govind Sandhu Diagnosed With Stage 4 Cancer at 38
- About the security and return rate of LANDUN FINANCIAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE LTD platform
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Alec Baldwin's Rust denied New Mexico tax incentives ahead of actor's involuntary manslaughter trial
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Parent company of Saks Fifth Avenue to buy rival Neiman Marcus for $2.65 billion,
- This week on Sunday Morning (July 7)
- Are tanning beds safe? What dermatologists want you to know
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- As Gunnar Henderson awaits All-Star turn, baseball world discovers his 'electric' talent
- Is Hurricane Beryl going to hit Texas? The chances are increasing
- US agency to fight invasive bass threatening humpback chub, other protected fish in Grand Canyon
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
Hurricane Beryl roars toward Mexico after killing at least 7 people in the southeast Caribbean
Here’s how Harris could take over Biden’s campaign cash if he drops out and she runs for president
In North Carolina, Eastern Hellbenders Are a Species of Concern, Threatened by the Vagaries of Climate Change
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Separated by duty but united by bond, a pair of Marines and their K-9s are reunited for the first time in years
Defense for Bob Menendez rests without New Jersey senator testifying
Trader Joe's recalls candles sold nationwide, saying they pose a safety risk