Current:Home > InvestFormer state senator accused of spending COVID-19 relief loan on luxury cars -Wealth Momentum Network
Former state senator accused of spending COVID-19 relief loan on luxury cars
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:34:01
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A former state senator was accused Wednesday of lying in order to get a COVID-19 relief loan for his casino and using the money to buy luxury cars for himself and his wife, a Republican leader in the New Hampshire House.
The allegations against former Sen. Andy Sanborn were announced by the attorney general’s office, which reviews the owners of charitable gaming businesses every five years. Sanborn owns the Concord Casino within The Draft Sports Bar and Grill in Concord and is seeking to open a much larger venue a few miles away, but the state lottery commission is now moving to permanently ban him from operating any such business.
The commission gave Sanborn 10 days to request a hearing. In the meantime, federal authorities have been notified, and the state has begun a criminal investigation, said Attorney General John Formella.
“This case highlights the importance of law enforcement’s role in keeping illegal activity out of New Hampshire’s charitable gaming industry,” he said in a statement. “Our obligation to protect the public demands that we take action against any person who is found to have used their regulated casino to enrich themselves with fraudulently obtained taxpayer funds.”
Sanborn, of Bedford, served four terms in the state Senate before unsuccessfully running for Congress in 2018. His wife, Laurie Sanborn, is in her 7th term in the House, where she serves as speaker pro tempore and chair of the Ways and Means Committee. Neither responded to emails seeking comment Wednesday; Laurie Sanborn’s phone was not accepting new voicemail messages.
According to the investigation, Sanborn fraudulently obtained $844,000 in funding from the Small Business Administration between December 2021 and February 2022. Casinos and charitable gaming facilities weren’t eligible for such loans, but Sanborn omitted his business name, “Concord Casino,” from his application and listed his primary business activity as “miscellaneous services.”
He’s accused of spending $181,000 on two Porsche race cars and $80,000 on a Ferrari for his wife. Sanborn also paid himself more than $183,000 for what he characterized as rent for his Concord properties, the attorney general said.
In June, the Concord Planning Board approved his proposal to build a 24,000-square-foot (2,230-square-meter) casino and restaurant, with the possibility of adding a hotel and event center. According to the Concord Monitor, the board had been considering the proposal for months when Sanborn forced a vote despite some members’ concerns about a lack of public vetting.
Rep. Matt Wilhelm, the House Democratic leader, said the attorney general’s report was deeply concerning and called on House Speaker Sherm Packard to remove Laurie Sanborn from a commission studying charitable gaming laws. House Republican leaders did not respond to a request for comment.
veryGood! (556)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- How PLL's Sasha Pieterse Learned to Manage Her PCOS and Love Her Body Again
- Cardi B addresses Met Gala backlash after referring to designer as 'Asian' instead of their name
- Billy Joel turns 75: His 75 best songs, definitively ranked
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Airman shot by deputy doted on little sister and aimed to buy mom a house, family says
- No sign of widespread lead exposure from Maui wildfires, Hawaii health officials say
- Horoscopes Today, May 9, 2024
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Did Kim Kardashian Ask Netflix to Remove Tom Brady Roast Boos? Exec Says…
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Cardi B addresses Met Gala backlash after referring to designer as 'Asian' instead of their name
- Maui to hire expert to evaluate county’s response to deadly wildfire
- Shaquille O'Neal on ex-wife saying she wasn't in love with him: 'Trust me, I get it'
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Man paralyzed after being hit with a Taser while running from police in Colorado sues officer
- The Token Revolution of DAF Finance Institute: Issuing DAF Tokens for Financing, Deep Research, and Refinement of the 'Ai Profit Algorithms 4.0' Investment System
- Why some health experts are making the switch from coffee to cocoa powder
Recommendation
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
Financial executive convicted of insider trading in case over acquisition of Trump’s media company
Murdered cyclist Mo Wilson's parents sue convicted killer Kaitlin Armstrong for wrongful death
Hundreds of Columbia Jewish students sign pro-Israel letter. Not all Jewish students agree.
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Horoscopes Today, May 8, 2024
Sydney Sweeney to star as legendary female boxer Christy Martin in upcoming biopic
Josh Hart made sure Reggie Miller heard Knicks fans chant at Madison Square Garden